Utility Billing Information
The Town of Thurmont Electric meters are read starting around the 15th of each month and the bills are mailed the last business day of each month. Our Electric bills are always due on the 21st of the month unless there is a weekend or holiday. In those cases, they are due the next business day.
Water and Sewer meters are read starting the last week of March, June, September and December and are mailed out the last business day of the months of January, April, July and October.
Payments can be made by cash, check, money order or credit card. Payments can be:
- Mailed to Commissioners of Thurmont, P.O. Box 17, Thurmont, MD 21788
- Dropped off in person Monday-Friday 8am-4pm (except for holidays)
- Dropped in our locked drop box in the parking lot anytime
- Pay by phone Monday - Friday 8am-4pm (except holidays)
- Pay online at Online Bill Pay (there is a $3.50 convenience fee per transaction)
- Automatic Payments can be setup with us by filling out and returning the Authorization Form to our Billing Specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org. (there is a $3.50 convenience fee.)
- Setup payment arrangements through your bank (please let your bank know the due date of the bill so checks are received to us on time. We receive Bank checks by mail.)
If you are purchasing a property in Thurmont and your new property has Thurmont Utilities including Electric, Water and/or Sewer you will need to have your Settlement Company complete the Settlement Information Sheet at least 3-5 business days before settlement. This information will be used to set up your new Electric, Water and/or Sewer Accounts with us.
If you are renting a property in Thurmont and it has Electric with us before we can place the Electric Service in your name there is some information we will need from you:
- Copy of your signed lease
- Copy of ID for anyone listed on the lease over the age of 18. (Drivers license, Credit/Debit Card, Birth Certificate, Social Security Card etc. At least one ID must have a picture)
- Tenant Information Form Completed by each person listed on the lease
- Security Deposit ($120.00 for residential, $200.00 for Commercial and Senior Citizens 60 years of age or older are not required to provide a Security Deposit)
**Any unpaid accounts currently with the town will also need to be paid in full.
We encourage this information be turned into us at least 3-5 business days prior to your move in date to ensure that the meters are read and accounts are placed in your name.
If your Rental Property also has Water and/or Sewer services these services are kept in the landlord's name and the bills will be sent to the landlord. You and the landlord will need to coordinate how these services will be paid. Water and Sewer bills are mailed quarterly the last business day of the months of January, April, July, October. Only changes to these dates are if you are moving out during a non scheduled billing month then they will be mailed the last business day of the month you have notified us you have moved out/in.
Any requests for utility services to be placed in a renter's name or removed from a renter's name and placed back in a landlords name must be requested no later than 9am (Monday-Friday) for the meter to be read that day. Any requests after 9am will be read the next business day.
Energy Assistance Programs
Energy Assistance is available through the Maryland Department of Human Services Office of Home Energy Programs for qualifying applicants. This link will give you more information on the program and provide you with the information on how to apply.